Sunday, November 20, 2011

Skin colored itchy bumps on my skin?

About three weeks ago I had a cold and started taking regular over the counter cold medicine during the day and at night. The cold lasted about 4-5 days, but after I noticed that I had these bumps on my chest. They are not visible, but I can feel them. If I scratch them long enough, they sort of swell as a bug bite would. They started appearing on my elbow area and upper arms, my back, my ankles, and the tops of my thighs. I have not been using any new detergents, nothing has changed in my house, I just recently vacuumed and flipped my mattress and changed my sheets which I do on a weekly basis.





I changed to Johnson and Johnson's head to toe baby wash for my hair and body just to see if that would make a difference, but I have been using it for over a week now and no results...it seems to be getting worse. It is extremely uncomfortable to the point where I have trouble sleeping. I go to bed itchy; wake up itchy; am itchy in class...I can't take it anymore!!


Anyone have any ideas?

Skin colored itchy bumps on my skin?
An itchy rash which appears after coldlike or flulike symptoms can be caused by Herpes zoster, which is the virus that causes chicken pox %26amp; shingles.





You should probably see a doctor to rule out this possibility... Herpes zoster is contagious and is no fun to have! It can be treated with acyclovir.





Those symptoms can also be caused by scabies, fleas or bed lice, which can persistently infest a person or their bedding, even despite fastidious bathing, hair washing, mattress flipping and sheet-changing. Such critters can only be eradicated with proper chemical pesticides! (Rid for lice, a flea-killing room fogger for fleas, a prescribed anti-scabies cream for scabies, etc.)





Temporary symptomatic relief for the itch can be had by taking benadryl and applying hydrocortisone cream to the bumps, but it is important to see a doctor and treat the cause of this, not just the symptoms.


No comments:

Post a Comment